Monday, January 1, 2018

Happy New Year of Relaxing Family Eating!

We are on the road. Again.
And where could be better for New Year's Day morning a no-reservation-no-waiting-all-you-like-to-eat than get it at home. I had it done within 45 minutes (struggled a bit with that sweetened pumpkin thing or could be done within 30 minutes), and we spent a luxury 1.5 hours around the table, sharing stories and learns from last year, while looking forward all best for a brand new 2018.




Smoked Salmon is very Eddie, Salami is Kevin, Prosciutto is mom. I love the cold plate always. 


Last minute fixing. We want giant pancakes. I manage to deliver the "regular" after struggled with the flavored ones. Phewww. They are good. A normal. 
PS Look my coffee today. I made each and every cup for every one, one by one. Absolutely bold & delicious. 


These, are the least looking pancakes I ever made, but geez they taste so great! Add pumpkin and spices and a bit sweet, so tough to get the perfect, or even good shape and color, I even throw away many pieces before got to accept the un-pro look: but wow, they are all gone in no time. I actually love the texture better than I thought. I just need to remember not to make the giant size. It may turn out all right. 



We always love the thick country cut bacon. And I specially like the applewood smoked flavor. When was your first time notice these fat-delicious meat? I first paid attention to bacon when I was in 6 grade and read "Gone with Wind". And I remember to save the lard after cooking ever since :)  


When I'm in hurry (as always do), I need to do all in one pan, so not in good perfect rounded, but everyone get their prefer style. Liek salted, crispy-er, well-done...Like the forever sunny-side-up for me. 



May your new year be healthy, colorful and delicious!

This was on new year day in the vacation house. I hate wondering around or waiting in long line in cold weather just for a meal. A little bit of planning ahead can make an evening with family much more relaxing and delicious.
As soon as we arrived, I began this 5 hours beef thing. SO huge a pot, looks like endless to the edge...
Even my kids agreed the black eye pea taste just fine, I mean great in taste and texture. 
Make sure never forget blackeyepea on your new year day. Even when on travel. 


I do very simple cook when not in my "own" kitchen. Cabbage with bacon. It's again, a big pot, and all gone in no time: bacon makes every veg sold out. Animal oil pair vegitables in so many good ways.



The oven works a bit strange, so glad the cornbread comes out nice. Kids love it so much they dip it into milk. 




 Southern new year day meal. All big pots, big plates. Cheers a lot. We feel so full we wait till after midnight for dessert. Hmm...that's another great story....