Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Eat Through an Icy Break

Our city experienced unexpected, so often and so wow, recently.
I'm always a believer that, you should never stop dreaming, just in case, what if it becomes real?! For last couple of days, we had snow (again!) and our temperature was lower than Anchorage, I mean, beat an Alaska winter day?
Sure the whole city shutting down. Not because of snow or cold, but dangerous icy road conditions.
I'm kinda a workaholic but totally followed and stayed home for a whole day. After an over 17 hours stuck and camping on icy freeway years ago, I got enough learning on respect inexperienced southern winter road.



What a view on the way to the office today.



One of my boys parked his car on driveway to catch snow. It is all ice this time. Enough to entertain them anyway. 



When it is super cold, comfort food like homemade noodles are always top choices. How beautiful to dust flour on these warm fresh noodles, while a pot of meat sauce has been fragrant the house for hours next on the stove. 



This is actually a brave new try. I call it everything or nothing alike. Use prime steak, coarse grounded as for chili. Use Indian curry,  as Japanese add applesauce for sweetness, as Thai add coconut cream for fragrance and thickness, on top of fresh noodles not rice. I mean, oh it is good, and it makes everyone satisfied and full full full. 



I like hot pot. This is a personal one. You can put whatever they like in each pot, and this clay pot helps to keep a whole meal piping hot throughout. Beef short ribs, fried tofu, yam noodles, radish, and cabbage is on bottom. 


Pickled Daikon. The sweet and sour crispy taste is a great company to all hot and heavy meats and soups. Top a little sesame oil and seeds. 



Right in season taro root and tapioca in rock candy soup. It may be the top Chinese dessert soup my boys crazily in love with. 





We finally got all Meyer lemons from the tree before this icy weather. They are so juicy only 3 can get over a cup of lemon juice. And so organic I feel 0 suspicious when using the zest. And the full flavor, oh, it is so instantly totally different when you compare things from our own yard with those supermarket ones. Lemon bars are simple and my first boy's all time fav. He does not take any vinegar, I assume lemon is his only sour intake.


School will reopen tomorrow. For my swimmer we need to leave the house by 4:45am. I finally give up making lunch on a same day rule. When I pack their turkey and ham sandwich tonight, I suddenly remember once the teacher told me how he showed off to his friends in school: you know how much my mom loves me?! As biiiiiig as the first bite of my sandwich! 
I'm so appreciate the memories are fresh as my big bite sandwich.