Monday, May 30, 2016

A Much In-Needed Relaxing Long Weekend 很多烤肉的长周末


Our tradition is always play hard on Labor Day. But for Memorial Day, we relax, slow down, of course BBQ, of course shopping and go concert. We find out black and white pictures of family members who once were in wars and fight for own nation, and dust the unforgettable stories they once shared with us to the next generation.   

My best record this year is ----  three BBQ three days in a row. Oh the smell of smokes and meats and a hot summer just begins. 


学校还有三天才期末考结束。这个国殇日长周末,我们一如既往放轻松,吃喝补觉。最不可思议纪录是,连续三天吃烤肉。




Day 1, Hamburger. It's National Hamburger Day! (ever heard of?!) I love mine medium rare in lettuce wrap, with melted swiss cheese, and loads of avocado. Kids and hubby sure enjoy their double patties with extra cheddar and minimum green, bums grilled with butter ---- mouth big open!
第一轮:最经典汉堡包。一共烤了10块肉饼5分熟。全部分光光。我爱的一贯是瑞士芝士生菜包,加很多的牛油果。厚厚的半天咬不下第一口,肉汁四溅。想想吧,男生们还两片面包夹两份肉饼,那嘴不是一般的大好不好。




Day 2, eat out @local BBQ. I normally order a kid's menu and trade w/son at this location, but today I've been shopping so seriously I decide to take two meat. Kids are getting worried: Mom...how much did you spend today?!....
Oh the marble brisk is so good!
第二天我是有做早午餐嘀,不过晚餐就没有烤肉。到附近广受欢迎的烤肉店,品尝就是学习。好多肉,分给孩子们半天还是好多肉,德州分量不是开玩笑,很扎实的。没有那整个墨西哥腌渍大辣椒还真不太容易送下去。吃完后散步去听节日音乐会,前后2个小时都消停不了,有一种熟悉的后悔,就是又吃多啦...






Day 3, BBQ again at home. I love my lamb, specially with extra cumin and pepper. 
第三轮:自家后院再烤。这回有些时间,羊肉好吃得不要不要的。学朋友多年前的方子,用洋葱和鸡蛋腌制。边烤边撒很多的茴香和辣椒碎。好美味。



No BBQ is complete without steak. 
烤肉没有牛排,就像吃肉不喝酒。那是行不通的。




Corn is right in season. I am more than ready to work on corn milk again soon! 
应季的就是最好的。不过什么时候要去地里摘新鲜的玉米,一定更迷人。




These are the best covered best taste. When BBQ sweet potato, wrapping w/foil does make a big difference on moist and sweetness, so sweet I call them dessert rather than starch. 
看不见的也是最好的。地瓜烤出来实在是最甜美多汁。不包锡纸烤着时候闻着香,包了烤吃起来口感更润喔。





No, I did not eat that much steak, but I like the plate look full when taking picture...






I dreamed to eat crabs in the middle of the night. So, wish granted. Steamed Gulf blue crab with vinegar sauce w/ginger & herbs (from my backyard). 
你有半夜三更想吃螃蟹么。那就是我的昨夜。梦醒来当然要如愿。后院紫苏大旺,和姜醋配海鲜没有更好的了。




Dessert: When was my last time spoon half a watermelon? So much fun memories when I was very very little: there was no fridge, so we chill watermelon with cold water, need to eat all once cut.  We sliced them, spoon them, for not sweet edge we top w/sugar. 
小时候抱了瓜怎么也吃不完的回忆,多少年不曾试过。如今我的孩子们倒觉得这样新奇得很: so cool!



When Lychee comes out to the market, hot summer days sure arrive. The fragrance and sweetness brings back hometown memories as well. 
荔枝上市,夏也真炙热了。




For my boys, a slice of cheesecake (original mom, no whip nor fancy thinging please) is more their definition of dessert. 
而让咱家的小孩子雀跃的,还是貌不惊人的这一客:之滑腻啊,只有黑咖啡才配。




With so much fun and eats, remember we all need to give some, for some may give all. 
除了大采购日,烤肉日,度假长周末,这一天,还是国殇日。